Join the Least Authority team and contribute to our work.
How to Apply
Get in touch and send us any of the following at jobs [at] leastauthority.com:
- Website link
- Past work
- Github link
- Social media profile links (LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.)
- Example work
- Or even just a nice email about yourself
Working with Least Authority
How We Work
We are a remote-first and global organization. You can have options for where and when you work while staying in close, collaborative communication with the team. Our work is conducted in English; speaking German is not a requirement.
What We Do
Following our mission, our work involves areas from security auditing and supporting others to building products and collaborating within the Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) community. We provide consulting services and conduct security audits for software development projects. You can read some of our final reports here.
Another focus of our work is building products aimed at increasing the security of the data and systems, along with enhancing and preserving privacy. We also collaborate with human rights organizations and non-profit foundations to provide secure tools and privacy enhancing technologies for human rights defenders.
In addition, we support projects, programs, and other ventures that focus on increasing awareness of the importance of digital security and privacy in technology.
Learn more about our open source development and other privacy-related efforts for building distributed systems on our blog.
For more information about Least Authority and to meet the team, see About Us.
This position can be part-time to full-time, and although we can do most of our work remotely, we would prefer this role to be based in Berlin.
Least Authority is looking for a new team member to manage our financial operations and provide assistance with our financial strategies. The ideal person for this role has interest in cryptocurrency and working with a team of security experts and privacy-focused team members.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- Monitor the day-to-day financial operations within the company, including payroll, incoming and outgoing invoices, expense reports and receipts, and cryptocurrency transactions;
- Prepare monthly and quarterly status reports for management and other key team members;
- Identify and address financial risks and opportunities for the company;
- Assure legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with applicable laws and regulations;
- Assist with managing the company financial portfolio of fiat and cryptocurrency;
- Preparing for bookkeeping and completing or overseeing the bookkeeping activities for the company, including general requests to and from the external tax accountant;
- Participate in strategic data analysis, research, forecasting, validation of plans, and modeling for senior company leadership, along with assist with high-level decisions about policy and financial strategy;
- Support other team members with financial analysis and research;
- Assist with the budget tracking and reporting necessary for projects and grants;
- Manage the financial accounting, monitoring, and reporting systems, and the integrity of the data;
- Manage the preparation and publication of departmental and organizational financial documents; and
- Lead accounting and financial process improvement efforts, including ways to optimize efficiency.
The ideal person for this role has some skills in the following areas:
- Knowledge of accounting basic principles and best practices;
- Familiarity with US and German accounting customs, including DATEV;
- Experience in a senior management position;
- Strong financial and accounting background, including an understanding of profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow management, and general finance and budgeting;
- Communication, negotiation and writing skills;
- Collaborative and problem solving work style;
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively, and delegate; and
- Proven strategic planning experience at the management level.
Security / Cryptography Researcher & Engineer
This position can be project-based, part-time or full-time based on your interests and our needs.
We’re looking for a Security or Cryptography Researcher & Engineer to join our team. You could be a software engineer, computer scientist, or mathematician who is interested in doing security research and engineering for advanced applied cryptography, especially with distributed systems. This position will work with our Security Consulting team on projects ranging from blockchain protocols to data management to zero-knowledge proofs. It involves analyzing designs, specifications and codebases, along with documenting findings, providing recommendations, and communicating with consulting clients. Research will use the latest security best practices, knowledge of advancements in related fields and previous experience / findings.
The ideal person for this role has interest in some of the following areas:
- Distributed & decentralized technologies
- Applied & advanced cryptography, like Zero-Knowledge Proofs
- Blockchain, cryptocurrency and Web 3.0 systems
- Open source software and development practices
- Security research and knowledge sharing to advance best practices
- Adversarial scenarios, attack vectors and threat modeling
- Privacy Enhancing Tech and secure communications tools
- A deep understanding of at least one coding language, with a drive to learn additional ones, including but not limited to: Go, Rust, Haskell, Solidity, Michelson, C++
Learn more about our security consulting work by browsing our published reports.